O1 Alien of Extraordinary Ability
Establishing Eligibility for the 0-1 Category:
- Extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business or athletics which has been “demonstrated by sustained national or international acclaim”.
- The definition of “extraordinary ability” varies depending on the type of beneficiary. Specifically, the law enacts three different standards.
- 0-1 category:
- the most exacting standards apply to aliens in the sciences, education, business, and athletics;
- a much less rigorous standard applies to individual aliens in the arts; and
- an intermediate standard applies to aliens of extraordinary achievement in the motion picture or TV industries. However, all beneficiaries petitioning under the 0-1 category must be able to demonstrate their extraordinary ability through extensive documentation.
P-1,P-2,P-3 (Artists, Athletes, and Entertainers)
- P-1 visa status is available to an alien who is coming to the U.S. to perform services as an internationally recognized athlete, individually or as part of a group or team, or to a member of an internationally recognized entertainment group.
- P-2 status is available to an artist or entertainer who is coming to perform under a reciprocal exchange program.
- P-3 status is available for an individual who is coming to perform, teach or coach under a program that is culturally unique.